Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day Off Part Two


The best laid plans of mice and men oft go awry, or so they say.

The three of us, Tikki and I and the man I am married to (who does NOT want to be mentioned in my blog!!) walked to a trendy little yuppie cafe and sat out on the patio. We enjoyed a muffin and a tea for me. OJ and muffin for that man. Total price $10.00, Crazy, eh? Tikki enjoyed a quarter of my pumpkin muffin and that man had the other quarter. I just have no appetite with the Apidexin.

I had vacuumed before we left in preparation to shampoo carpets and steam the hardwood when we returned but then we decided to go for a drive first.

We dropped off Tikki and went to run a couple errands while we debated checking out the new Crossirons Mills mall in Balzac. I hate walking around a mall, I think I'm on record as having said that before. Then I remembered that Bed Bath and Beyond is also in Chinook mall so we went there.

My memory is faulty as usual and there wasn't a BBB in Chinook but there was a Bath and Bodyworks where I scored 6 bottles of warm vanilla hand soap for only $25 (regular price $33) and some nice warm vanilla shower gel and body cream. That was on sale, buy two, get one free so I scored again! The man who shall remain nameless bought some special hand cream with parrafin since the skin over his knuckles cracks open from the dryness here on the prairies. He has tried all kinds of creams and has yet to find the magic formula. Unfortunately, the stuff he chose is scented so it probably won't be magic either.

I popped into Sephora and bought Wonderful Daughter some Cake products to celebrate her recent weight loss. No calories in that Cake, just yummy smelling shower gels and creams. I wish you all could see her, she really has worked hard and it shows.

Then, we drove back downtown to a men's wear store so he could get a few golf shirts on sale. While he was trying on his choices, I decided he could take me out for lunch to our favorite Mexican restaurant which was back down in the south end of the city again.

Imagine our surprise when we got there, only to discover it is under renovation and will be reopening in September as a Greek restaurant! We already have two favorite Greek restaurants, depending on what we want to spend. One has a patio and one doesn't, which is also important when making our selection.

I called WD to ask for a Mexican suggestion. When she and her soon-to-be-ex husband were together, they used to eat out a minimum of 3 times a week. She knows her restaurants and quickly gave me 3 suggestions. It was a good thing she was quick because my cell went dead before I got addresses. We ended up at a little hole in the wall place that had really great, authentic Mexican food and we enjoyed every bite. We'll be sure to go there again soon.

The man wanted to go out to Crossirons Mills and look at a Kitchen Aid stand mixer for WD but I was ready to come home since it was 4:30 by this time. Wonderful Daughter bakes all her own bread each week as well as buns, cinnamon buns, rolls and pizza crusts. She has my old stand mixer since I rarely bake in bulk like she does. But we think she really needs a professional model. My mixer just can't do the capacity she needs. So, we're checking out prices and models and features. It's going to be quite a process. Maybe they will go on sale by then. Or, I could cash in 53,000 Visa Reward Points. (I'd rather save them towards airfare for a much needed holiday though.)

So, no wild and crazy times shampooing carpets after all today. Just a nice day to rest and relax. I didn't even have to worry about making supper because we were both too stuffed from our nice lunch. I've been spoiled today. The man was concerned about my little episode last week and decided to take two days off to spend with me. I adore him, whoever he is...

I've heard it said, "Housework is what a woman does that nobody notices unless she hasn't done it." So, I'll try to get to the bedrooms later this week. The beauty of housework is that it can always wait.
Unless your in-laws are coming for a visit...

4 comments:

  1. Sounded like a pleasant way to spend the time.
    So, about this Mexican place, where and what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, one thing I've learned from your post today is that if you ever come to visit me, you'll feel right at home because I have some of that warm vanilla hand soap! And believe me, even if you don't get here for 20 or 30 years, the soap will still be available to you because, unfortunately, I don't like the smell! (Someone told me to dump it out and replace it, because I DO like the container, but now that I know how much it COST - it was a gift - I'm not going to throw it away!)
    I'm relieved to hear that you didn't shampoo carpets on your day off! Shopping with "he-who-shall-remain-nameless" was much more fun, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah - wow, you're up with the chickens! I've sent you the details, link and a couple photos from their web page. It wasn't the cleanest but it sure was yummy.

    Baggie - I think you should dump it out too. I have a firm gift policy: when I give something, it is yours to use, regift, discard or whatever. No hurt feelings. Maybe regift to someone who will give you back the container. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'm glad to hear you and "the man" got out and about and had a lovely day. I think hubby and I need a day out like that soon. So true about the housework.

    ReplyDelete