Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Long Weekend Recap

Well, Cousin has been and gone and a great time was had by all.

Yesterday, we spent 4 hours at the Calgary Zoo. It was neat to see it through his eyes. And, what sharp eyes he has! At each exhibit, I usually have to stand for a minute or two to see the inhabitants. Not Cousin, he'd walk up and casually announce, "there's an owl in behind that tree and two more up in the tree on the left".

Exhibits that have always stumped me, like "there are 8 frogs in this aquarium, how many do you see?" were a cinch for Cousin. Previously, I had been sure there was a hidden camera with zoo staff laughing at me behind the scenes because, in reality, there were only the 5 frogs I could find in the whole tank. But. like an idiot I had stood there 10 minutes looking for the fictitious 3.

Wonderful Daughter and I had a relaxing afternoon since both guys took a turn pulling the wagon. Usually, she has to shlep it all over since pulling it puts my back out. Or, at least, that's the excuse I give her.

In exciting news, the zoo now has wild turkeys roaming freely, just like the peacocks. They are so pretty with black and white speckled feathering. I love birds! I was excited to see last year's peacock chicks wandering about this year. We went to see the raptors but it is sad to see them caged.

Saturday, we went to the BBQ on the Bow Festival. It was a snooze-fest; but the little boys went wading at Prince's Island and we had a nice stroll around. Saturday night we had a rib BBQ at WD's and watched a movie on her projection tv.

Sunday, we all went to the Farmer's Market for brunch, then up the Calgary Tower. I really loved the Tower this time. Maybe it's because we live close to downtown and can easily pick out the different buildings. WD even picked out our condo building from up there, using the telescope.

We made a curry and butter chicken with saffron rice, papadums and nan for dinner, then went to Movie in the Park for the last time this year. It's just too dang cold at night to sit out there for 2 hours. After the movie, WD took her boys home and the 3 of us came back to our place to watch old Sci-Fi movies until we couldn't keep our eyes open.

Cousin is a 4th year apprentice and is usually up at 5 a.m. to go to work, so staying up past 11 is foreign to him. And, let's face it, we're getting old, so anything after 1 a.m. is going to kill us the next day.

So, all in all, a great time was had by all. He will come again in November when the ski resorts open. We can't wait!


  1. Sounds like a terrific weekend wish I had been at the zoo with ya *smile*. I need to take the kids they haven't been in awhile.

  2. Hi Dawn, I wish you had been here too. I dreamt last night my hubby got transferred to Dartmouth N.S.; that's closer to you, right?